Busse's Lock Service, LLC: 
                        2003 Wake Forest Rd, Raleigh, NC 27608


Access Control

This term refers to any device or system that selectively allows entry by certain persons to an area while excluding others. Usually, this term is not used to refer to ordinary key-operated locks but rather to push-button, card access, or biometric systems. This can be anything from a simple mechanical push-button lock to retinal scanners, palm scanners or badge readers wired to magnetic or electrical locking devices. Many professional locksmiths offer access control services and can advise you on the best system for your particular application.


The Americans with Disabilities Act. This landmark legislation provides for stiff civil penalties for any business, workplace, or public institution that fails to provide appropriate access to disabled persons. It means much more than just ramps! In many cases, door knobs are non-compliant because they are difficult for people with limited hand strength or dexterity to operate. Professional locksmiths can advise you on ADA compliance issues that relate to the door hardware at your business or workplace.


American National Standards Institute. This is an agency that establishes standards for everything from toilet seats to telephone cables. They are the reason that such products are largely interchangeable nowadays. Door hardware standards are also established by ANSI. They also establish standards for lock designs that categorize architectural locksets as Grade 1, Grade 2, or Grade 3.


This refers to the measurement from the edge of the door to the center of the main bore of an installed lock. To obtain this measurement, hook a measuring tape on the edge of the door and measure right to center of the keyhole. The most common backset for modern residential-grade locks is 2-3/8". The standard backset for commercial-grade locksets is 2-3/4." If you are buying a replacement lock, this is the most important dimension to match.

Barrel key

This is the typical type of key used on antique and antique-style furniture. The reason it is called a barrel key is because of the post-hole drilled into the bottom of the key. It is distinguished from a bit key, which is more commonly used on antique or antique-style door locks. Together, bit and barrel keys are sometimes called “skeleton keys.” It is not true that all such keys are interchangeable. Some locks that use barrel keys are quite complex; the key must be cut precisely in order to operate it.